Tadpole's Outdoor Blog

December 30, 2011

Texas Game Warden Field Notes

Filed under: Fishing & Hunting — Freddie Keel @ 6:29 am

(the photos and cartoons are not related to the situations)


Shelby County Game Warden Mike Hanson was checking deer and squirrel hunters in the Sabine National Forest when he observed a vehicle being operated at a high rate of speed. Once the vehicle was stopped, it was apparent the operator was intoxicated. The suspect informed the warden he was only in the area to assist the warden in searching for anything suspicious. He further informed Hanson that he was not his friend anymore. At 9:30 a.m., the suspect registered .227 and .221 on the Intoxilyzer.  Case pending.


A landowner noticed tree stands being placed on his property and notified Brazoria County Game Warden Jason Richers. Richers removed the stands from the property and left his business card at the location. A few days later he received a call from an individual inquiring about the stands. Richers met with the individual the next day and explained to him that the stands were placed on private property, returned the stands and explained that one must have permission from the landowner of the property he intends to hunt. A few days later, the landowner called again and the stands were back. Brazoria County Game Wardens Jason Richers, Jim Bob Van Dyke, Joe Goff, Scott Jennings and Fort Bend County Game Warden Mike Weiss traveled to the location on opening day of bow season and arrested two individuals for hunting without landowner consent.  Cases pending.


While checking dove hunters in Zavala County, Game Warden Chris Stautzenberger and Kinney County Game Warden Dayton Isaacs checked a group of 10 hunters who were dove hunting behind a high fence around a pond. Stautzenberger noticed that the area had been baited with corn and milo. The group argued that they did not know about the place being baited and were leasing the place for a bachelor party for the weekend. The ranch manager was interviewed and admitted to placing the bait in the field, and 10 citations for hunting over bait and one for placing bait to attract were issued.


Uvalde County Game Warden Henry Lutz received a call from Deputy Game Warden John Earl Teague regarding shots being fired from a county road. When Lutz arrived, Teague and recently retired Real County Game Warden Shane Hohmann had two juvenile boys and one 17-year-old subject detained. The boys admitted to shooting an axis deer and a rabbit from the county road that day. They had another axis deer in camp that they claimed was killed in the Nueces River the day before. After locating the downed axis deer and rabbit, shot from the road, the 17-year-old was asked to take the wardens to where he shot the axis in the river. The boy showed the wardens a spot at the water’s edge that had no blood or deer tracks. Later, the young man admitted that this axis deer had also been shot off of another county road and took the wardens to that location, where blood was found.  Several charges of hunting from a public road and one charge of no hunting license were filed.


Kent/Dickens County Game Warden Danny Kessel received a call from a bowhunter who found his stand occupied by a man armed with an assault rifle and a pistol. The violator informed Kessel that the previous night he left his camp with an alcohol-induced plan to go shoot a pig. He stated that he left his camp, got lost and decided to wait out the night in the deer stand. The violator had no hunting license or identification and had crossed four property lines that were posted with no trespassing signs. Cases pending.


Upshur County Game Warden David Pellizzari received a call concerning individuals hunting without consent. Pellizzari located a vehicle and waited until the subjects came out of the woods from squirrel hunting. A quick call to the landowner confirmed that the men did not have permission to hunt the property. One subject did not have his wallet or license and had blood on his clothing. A search of the area revealed the front leg of a freshly killed deer. The subject denied killing the deer and stated he found a doe on the back of the property, even though the meat was still warm and had fresh blood on it. The subject maintained that somebody else must have shot it that morning. The subject finally admitted to killing the deer, cutting off the front leg and backstraps, and to not having a hunting license. Cases pending.


McLennan County Game Warden Jason Campbell apprehended a group of fishermen in Falls County. The subjects were using spears to take several different species of game fish from a local river, where the fish were unable to move due to the low-water conditions. One yellow cat weighed more than 25 pounds. Cases pending.


Grayson County Game Warden Dale Moses received a call from a landowner whose neighbor had spotted a man and woman entering his property with rifles. After noticing a vehicle with Oklahoma plates parked on the roadway, Moses waited for the subjects to arrive back to their vehicle. A woman and a child exited the woods first, and after noticing the warden, the woman laid her .22-caliber rifle down behind a tree. The woman said she was hunting squirrels and that her husband, who also had a .22-caliber rifle, was still in the woods. When the husband saw Moses, he stepped back into the woods and came out a few minutes later without his firearm. Moses met the subject in the field and retrieved the gun. A computer check showed the man to be on five-year probation after receiving deferred adjudication for a felony in Grayson County. The subject’s probation officer was notified. The subject had also failed to tell his probation officer that he is currently living in Oklahoma. Cases pending.


The Galveston Police Department stopped a speeding driver. When asked why he was in such a hurry, the driver replied that he needed to get home and feed his pet alligator. Game Warden Jaime Pendlebury was notified, responded to the location and seized a baby alligator. Case pending.


On October 7th, Zapata County Warden Carson Wardlow was off-duty and fishing from the bank on Falcon Lake when a man approached and asked if the area was open for the public to fish. Wardlow informed the man it was a public area. The man stated his semi-truck was parked up the road but he would be back shortly with his pole. When the man returned, it was discovered that he was from California and didn’t have a Texas fishing license. Wardlow warned, “You need to go get a license before you start fishing because the Game Wardens patrol this area.” The man stated that he would “take his chances” and began fishing for catfish. Not wanting to blow his “cover,” Wardlow discreetly called his partner, Game Warden Shane Bailey, who was in the area and on-duty. Bailey arrived and the California man denied that he was fishing; after a few questions the man admitted he was fishing and received a citation. After Warden Bailey left, the man informed Wardlow that he had received a ticket and now he had to leave and buy a license. Wardlow replied, “I tried to warn you.”


Starr County Game Warden Dennis Gazaway checked two men leaving a dove hunting area. While inspecting their game, Gazaway noticed several empty sacks and one sack half full of corn in the bed of the truck. Under the corn the warden found four quail. Cases pending for possession of quail in closed season.


Game Wardens Valchar and Bernstein were contacted by Fort Hood game wardens who advised that they had stopped a suspicious vehicle on post, with two soldiers inside the vehicle. The two men were in possession of four recently killed white-tailed deer that had been skinned and quartered. One suspect said that he shot the deer two nights earlier on a property where he keeps his horses. One of the men told Valchar that he was the one who shot the four deer because they were eating his horses hay. The wardens received consent to search one of the suspect’s home for the deer meat and weapon used. The wardens seized one rifle and the deer meat in the freezer. The deer meat was not fully frozen and there was still water in the bag. Bernstein spoke with the wife of one of the suspects. She advised that three other men had gone hunting with her husband, provided their names and said each had shot a deer from the highway. The husband then admitted to hunting at night, shooting at approximately 14 to 16 deer and killing and taking seven deer. Bernstein and Valchar retrieved search warrants and arrest warrants for the three other soldiers and charged them with hunting white-tailed deer at night and hunting from a vehicle. All deer meat from two houses was seized and a .50-caliber desert eagle and a Remington 30-06 were seized in connection with the shootings.


Somervell County Game Warden Joni Kuykendall responded to a report of a hunting accident that had occurred at a local private bird hunting area. Two bird hunters were hunting quail with 12-gauge shotguns. While walking through the field, one hunter swung and shot at a bird that was flying toward the other hunter. The other hunter was peppered with birdshot. Both hunters were hunter education certified.

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: